Attendees checked in so far: 467
The first day of RIPE 69 was busy! While it rained outside, it was toasty inside thanks to the hum of monitors, laptops and yes, a Dalek. The morning started with three parallel tutorials: getdns API, an Introduction to RIPE Meetings (featuring an interactive gaming element) and Basic RIPE NCC Tools for Network Diagnostics and Monitoring. Before lunch, newcomers were ‘schooled’ by Axel Pawlik, RIPE NCC’s Managing Director, and Hans Petter Holen, RIPE Chair, in RIPE Meeting 101 at the (revamped) Newcomers’ Introduction session.
The Main Room filled up quickly for the Opening Plenary and it was evident that RIPE 69 is likely to become the biggest RIPE Meeting to date with close to 500 attendees checked in so far. Highlights of the plenary sessions included:
- A showdown between a Dalek and John Souter, CEO for LINX (no sign of ‘termination’ yet though)
- The quirky and challenging aspects of community networking in Scotland
- Developments of iGDP in Africa
- An engaging discussion on using RIPE Atlas data to check if the Internet is asymmetric and if it helps to mitigate DDoS
- Whether or not prices for transit based on the length of cables changes over time
You can see all of Monday’s plenary presentations online.
And of course, the day was capped with a couple of socials: Meet the Executive Board and the RIPE 69 Welcome Drinks.